Sunday, December 18, 2016

5 days in Stockholm

Much has happened since my last post.  Monday evening we were really too tired to go out for dinner, so we opted to eat in the hotel restaurant.  The food was much better than I had expected, so I was not sorry we were a bit lazy.

Tuesday we walked about 5miles while taking care of banking and locating a supply of special deodorant for Aunt Kristina, visiting the tourist office, and finally spending time in a museum(Hallwyls) which was built in about 1900 as a private residence with more than 40 rooms.  A bit ostentatious!!  A fireplace in every room, but never used since they had central forced air heat.

The piano in the photo is a Steinway from the early 1900s . 

That evening we found a nearby restaurant which specialised in seafood, and had a wonderful meal of lobster bisque followed by a fish stew with shrimp, salmon, crayfish and other goodies.  

 On Wednesday we went to the Fotografiska museum where we saw a wonderful exhibit for more than 100 portraits of famous and not so famous people who were involved in humanitarian causes.  We spent several hours at the museum which we had to walk to from our hotel and walked back home through Gamma Stan (old town) . 

 That evening we had dinner in the hotel lobby and met with several friends Marianne Martin and Christian . 

Thursday we took the train to Uppsala to spend the day with Lotte and Jonne.  The train ride was fast, very comfortable, and  we could see the countryside as we zipped along.   We met for lunch in the remodeled old train station, then wandered around downtown Uppsala.   We went into the old hotel/restaurant which once belonged to Christina's uncle, and is now an upscale clothing store.  We spent time in the Uppsala cathedral, the largest church in Scandinavia, which was built beginning about 1250, and finished about 200 years later.  They are cleaning and protecting the big stained glass windows, so some were not visible.  

Jonne then suggested that Christina and I visit the museum which contained the first anatomy theater in Sweden, as well as many original instruments of faculty physicists, chemists and physicians.   We really were fascinated by the museum, and spent a good hour there.  It's definitely worth a visit.  

We had a beautiful dinner at Lotte and Jonne's then took the train home.  

 On Friday we were to meet Jennifer at a fish restaurant in this southern part of Stockholm (Sodermalm) about 2 o'clock in the afternoon.  We decided to walk to the restaurant which took about 45 minutes but that was a nice walk and then had a two hour lunch with Jennifer and her son Emmett.  The walk back was just right to give us the exercise for the day .  We got back to the hotel and packed
 for an early departure the next morning .

1 comment: